Monday, February 11, 2013

Reflections from an ice cream shop...

My 5-year-old grandson and I were out for ice cream. He was his usual bubbly, enthusiastic and adorable self, savoring every bite of his pistachio frozen yogurt adorned with gummy worms, sweet and sour candies, and topped with colorful sprinkles! We chatted about his school day as he noticed two more customers entering the shop. They ordered their treats and then came to our area and sat down next to us - a grandmother with her granddaughter around the same age as my grandson. In his innocent and carefree way, he said a few words of greeting to the little girl. I smiled to myself, admiring his easy and natural manner of befriending the girl. Then he said to me, "Grandma, say something to the other grandma. They are just like us - see," pointing to them, "grandma and granddaughter," and then pointing to us, "grandma and grandson. Go ahead. Say hi. It's okay."

Oh the innocent bliss of children! When do we outgrow that inner caring and respect for others that cause a child to reach out and show love and acceptance so naturally...to say we are in this together, and I will be your friend. It has to start with someone, right? That day in the ice cream shop, my grandson extended his generous heart to others. And it only takes one person to start that flow of love.

I learned that the hard way. Several years ago I worked at an outpatient drug and alcohol treatment center. Clients were not there because they wanted to be there. They were court mandated usually because of DUIs, and they were certainly not happy about it. It was a costly lesson for them to learn, and trust me, they were mad as heck about it, and it was rarely their own fault, or so they thought!

I was the first person they saw when they walked through the door and also the first person they talked with when they called to schedule their initial appointment. Consequently I received a lot of their negativity. And they were very generous with it! I thought I could handle anything, but the anger, frustration, and disrespect made me feel like I had the weight of the world on my shoulders, day in and day out. It was taking its toll on me emotionally and physically.

I lamented to my husband every night after work, not knowing how I could continue to deal with such negative energy from our clients. It took me a while to finally go within for the answer, but one day as I journaled and meditated about my dilemma, I heard, "Let the God in me see the God in them." That's all. That's exactly what I heard. Too easy, right? Or perhaps too hard? The answer was to change my perception and to allow the God-ness that is in each of us to connect on a deeper level of respect and acceptance by honoring one another. What a difference that made!

I committed from that day on that every time someone walked through the doors of that agency, the God in me would see the God in them. Every time I answered the phone, my prayer was that the God in me would be communicated through the phone lines. And it worked! There were times I could literally feel the anger dissipating as I applied this principle. I was amazed at the response from people when they felt respected and honored and heard and accepted, even in their frustration and anger.

I love using that principle now in my daily life, even though I forget sometimes. That's why it was so refreshing for my 5-year-old grandson to remind me to always see that kindred spirit in others. Wouldn't our own little neck of the woods be a kinder place to live if we did so? May it begin with me.

In love and light...

Victoria Lynn




2 comments:

  1. Inspiring! Both you and Asher!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's let our love shine forth, right? That comes so naturally for our little ones! Thank you for your comment, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete